GLA:D® (Hip & Knee Exercise Classes)
GLA:D® (Good Life with osteoArthritis in Denmark (GLA:D®) is an 8 week education and exercise program for those with stiff and/or painful knees and/or hips, or those with knee and/or hip osteoarthristis.
Kendra Wilson has run our program for 2 years and has witnessed great success. Our participants have experienced decreased pain, and increased function.
This program is unique in that it has been designed with the input of individuals with osteoarthritis (OA) and health care professionals who treat people with mild to severe OA. These individuals made it clear that the focus on both education and exercise was required and that it needed to be applied to everyday activities. By strengthening the muscles in functional movements and correcting daily movement patterns, participants train their bodies to move properly, thereby preventing symptom progression and reducing pain.
About our Program
- Offered at our St. Albert, Servus Place clinic
- $395, plus $90 for a pre-assessment with the physiotherapist
- Includes 2 education sessions, and 12 exercise sessions
- New to our clinic, we are also offering GLA:D® Back program at our Tudor Glen location
The GLA:D® program is made up of 2 components
The Education Sessions
These two educations sessions are extremely beneficial to attend as they will provide you with information that you will take with you throughout the program, and through your continued recovery.
The sessions teach participants about OA, including the degeneration process in the joint, how the GLA:D® Canada exercises improve joint stability, and how to retain this improved joint stability through day to day self-management techniques.
The Exercise Sessions
Neuromuscular exercise sessions twice a week for six weeks to improve muscle control and stability of the joint, which leads to reduction in symptoms and improved quality of life. Participants are educated on how to include the neuromuscular exercises in daily physical activity and advised to continue to be physically active to ensure that the improvements in muscle stabilization are maintained in the long term.
Our Upcoming Program Dates:
- Session#1 Sept/Oct - Education Sessions: Sat/Sun Sept 7-8 (2-3:15pm) M and W 7-8:15 am; (Friday Oct. 18th in lieu of Thanksgiving on 14th)
- Session#2 Nov/Dec - Education Sessions: Sat/Sun Nov. 2/3 (2-3:15pm) M and W 7-8:15 am: Nov 13/15, 18/20, 25/27, Dec 2/4, 9/11, 16/18 (Friday Nov 13th in lieu of Remembrance Day)
- Session#3 Feb/Mar - Education Sessions: Sat/Sun Feb 8/9 (2-3:15pm) M and W 7-8:15 am: Feb 10/12, 21/19, 24/26 March 2/4, 9/11, 16/18 (Nov 21st in lieu of Family Day)
- Session#4 Apr/May - Education Sessions: Sat/Sun Apr 4/5 (2-3:15pm) M and W 7-8:15 am: April 6/8, 13/15, 20/22, 27/29 May 4/6, 11/13
- Session#5 May/June - Education Sessions: Sat/Sun May 23/24 (2-3:15pm) M and W 7-8:15 am: May 25/27, June 1/3, 8/10, 15/17, 22/24, 26, 29 (Friday June 26th in place of July 1st)